Raising Your Child to Love Reading
A. Reading Out Loud
B. Creating a Routine
C. Create a warm and calm environment
Downloadable Short Stories
for Developing Minds
- Rhymes, songs and predicable text
- Repeated words and word families
- Read a book many times pausing on
a key word so the child can say it.
- Have fun, laugh and cuddle!
- Most important is to have fun!
- Look at the cover and make predictions.
- During: point out what is interesting to
you and ask what they think is interesting.
- Ask What is the problem in this story?
- Discuss: what are their thoughts about
how characters overcame their problems.
- Talk about stories other times of the day
and make connections to real situations.
- Bring the author to life with online
searches and see if they have a website.
- Model good reading habits. Have books
& other good reads around the house.
- Keep favorite books from earlier years in
a special spot and they will treasure them!
- Read-aloud while child is doing a quiet
preferred activity or holding a toy.
- If child insists on a certain book, take
turns: first my choice, then yours.
- Read the same book 3-5 days in a row to
build familiarity, acceptance and desire.
- Audio books from the library or a website
- Ask relatives or friends to record books
- Be sure to sit with your children while
they listen and interact!